Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Decade

A decade ago, my life changed forever. 

 
Even after ten years, I cannot fully find the words to express my inner thoughts. But as this marks ten years, I am finally going to try. 

 
Most would expect me to still be in mourning.  After all, I did lose my mother before my life seemed to actually begin.  In ten years, I traveled to other countries, ran a business, met my soul mate, married, had two little girls and grown in ways I cannot even explain.  I found my feet and how to stand on them. 

 
And even after all of that, after all the sleepless nights of being a mom, all of the exciting chapters in my story that are constantly being written...I can still remember every detail from that day, ten years ago.  I will forever be grateful to our creator for blessing my twenty five years of life with the most amazing mother I could ever dream of.  She lived life full.  She lived life busy and fun.  She lived life, even sick. She lived richly.  She LIVED. 

 
Three years ago, God blessed me with becoming a mother.  So many moments have come where I imagine what would my mother have done in situations.  She wasn't perfect.  She wasn't without wrongdoing.  But she was AWESOME.  I learned how to bake bread because of her.  I learned how to roll out noodles and cut them for her amazing chicken and noodles recipe.  I learned how to sew a button, which lead to my love of sewing.  I learned how to weed a garden.  I learned how to pray to my Mighty God.  I learned how to ask for help when I need it.  I learned how to be strong when I had to be, and gentle when the right time came.  I learned how to ask my church family for prayers when they are needed.  I learned what it meant to be faithful to God, no matter what life throws your way.  Simply by watching her.  She was truly, a gift from God. 

 
Even to this day, I miss her.  As I think of all the life lessons I learned because of her, tears still fall quickly.  But, I am no longer mourning for her.  I rejoice with her.  She fought the good fight.  She stood tall and strong.  And God called her home.  How can I, even her daughter left on this earth, begrudge her that calling?

 
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful."







4 comments:

Bobby Kern said...

So beautiful. I love you Redd. Thanks for opening your heart to all of us!

Sara said...

What a beautiful tribute! You are such a strong lady. I am so glad I got to enjoy her delicious chicken and noodles! Love you!

Katie said...

I just now read this. I can't believe it's been 10 years. This was beautifully written and I love the photos. Love you, friend!!

Dad said...

When you put "Heart to Pen" something very, very special happens! As time moves us along life's road, memories become a very important focal point to who we are! Our lives were truly blessed because of Sherla. God blessed me beyond measure when He allowed me to share life with her. Sherla's remarkable life was witnessed by you daily and will carry you through life till we all join her in that heavenly realm. What a wonderful Christian daughter you are!